Work Permit Button.png    

Summer work permits should be completed at the Adult School​.


  1. Print an application for a work permit (Form CDE B1-1).
  2. Complete the form and have your parent/guardian & employer sign and date their section. Please fill in all the required information. It is mandatory to provide your social security number. 
  3. Scan the completed application (Form CDE​​ B1-1​) and a picture of your ID (ID must show your birthdate) to your school site contact person. For: 
    ​​Jurupa Valley High School, email: Vicky Kaylor at
    Patriot High School, email: Sharon McDonough at
    Rubidoux High School, email:​​ Alicia Jones at
  4. Check your email address in 24 to 48 hours for a copy of your work permit that can be printed and taken to your employer. You may begin working immediately. 

The official work permit will be sent to your employer by mail addressed to the manager. If you have questions or concerns you may contact your school site office for assistance or email your school site contact:
​​Jurupa Valley High School, email: Vicky Kaylor at
Patriot High School, email: Sharon McDonough at
Rubidoux High School, email:​​ Alicia Jones at​​​

All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement (see below).

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.


  • Minors who have high school diplomas or passed the state proficiency examination
  • Employment type:
      • Private homes doing occasional odd jobs
      • Sale or delivery of the newspaper, if self-employed
      • Self-employment
      • ​Agricultural or domestic work on property owned, operated, or controlled by minor's parents


    • Be renewed at the start of each new school year or when the student obtains a new job.
    • Be kept on file at the minor's worksite.


All minors must be covered by Workers’ Compensation Insurance, including minors employed by parents and minors employed by businesses operating from a private residence.


·         In most cases, a minor must be paid the minimum wage.


Hazardous Occupations for All Minors — Federal Law

The federal government, under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), has listed Hazardous Occupations in which minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited from working.

·         Motor vehicle driving on public roads (This does not prohibit a minor from driving on private property e.g. auto dealer lot)

·         Power-driven woodworking machines

·         Exposure to radioactive substances

·         Power-driven hoisting apparatus (Includes automobile hoist, lift truck, forklift, elevator, crane, derrick, bobcat, etc.)

·         Power-driven metal-forming, punching, & shearing machines (Includes rolling machines, pressing or punching machines, bending machines, etc.)

·         Power-driven bakery machines (Includes dough mixer, batter mixer, bread divider, molding machine, bread slicing and wrapping, cookie or cracker machine.)

·         Power-driven paper-products machines (Includes paper bailers, box crushers, etc.)

·         Power-driven circular saws, band saws, & guillotine shears

·         Roofing operations

·         Excavation operations

·         For a complete list, contact the local Wage & Hour Office at (213) 894-6375

Minors Under 18 Years of Age

·         Selling or serving alcoholic beverages

·         Building or construction work of any kind

·         Delivering goods from motor vehicles

·         In the vicinity of moving machinery

·         Hazardous occupations

·         Operating an auto or truck

·         In the vicinity of explosives


·         In or about a gasoline service station except as cashiers, clerical workers, or merchandise labelers.

·         Public messenger service.

·         In or about dangerous equipment & power-driven machinery, aircraft, or vessels.

·         Selling to passing motorists: newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities.

·         Selling door-to-door unless the following conditions are met:

o    Minors work in pairs as a team;

o    One adult supervisor for ten or fewer minors;

o    Within sight or sound of supervisor once every 15 minutes;

o    Returned to home or rendezvous point daily;

o    The employer has complied with IWC registration requirements.​

Copyright © 2022 Jurupa Unified School District. All Rights Reserved.