· In most cases, a minor must be paid the minimum wage.
Hazardous Occupations for All Minors — Federal Law
The federal government, under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA), has listed Hazardous Occupations in which minors under the age of 18 years are prohibited from working.
· Motor vehicle driving on public roads (This does not prohibit a minor from driving on private property e.g. auto dealer lot)
· Power-driven woodworking machines
· Exposure to radioactive substances
· Power-driven hoisting apparatus (Includes automobile hoist, lift truck, forklift, elevator, crane, derrick, bobcat, etc.)
· Power-driven metal-forming, punching, & shearing machines (Includes rolling machines, pressing or punching machines, bending machines, etc.)
· Power-driven bakery machines (Includes dough mixer, batter mixer, bread divider, molding machine, bread slicing and wrapping, cookie or cracker machine.)
· Power-driven paper-products machines (Includes paper bailers, box crushers, etc.)
· Power-driven circular saws, band saws, & guillotine shears
· Roofing operations
· Excavation operations
· For a complete list, contact the local Wage & Hour Office at (213) 894-6375
Minors Under 18 Years of Age
· Selling or serving alcoholic beverages
· Building or construction work of any kind
· Delivering goods from motor vehicles
· In the vicinity of moving machinery
· Hazardous occupations
· Operating an auto or truck
· In the vicinity of explosives
HAZARDOUS OCCUPATIONS FOR MINORS UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE - CALIFORNIA LAW
· In or about a gasoline service station except as cashiers, clerical workers, or merchandise labelers.
· Public messenger service.
· In or about dangerous equipment & power-driven machinery, aircraft, or vessels.
· Selling to passing motorists: newspapers, candy, flowers, or other merchandise or commodities.
· Selling door-to-door unless the following conditions are met:
o Minors work in pairs as a team;
o One adult supervisor for ten or fewer minors;
o Within sight or sound of supervisor once every 15 minutes;
o Returned to home or rendezvous point daily;
o The employer has complied with IWC registration requirements.