This is my fifth year as principal at Glen Avon Elementary School and I am very excited about the academic year. I look forward to continuing to work with the families of Glen Avon. I know that Glen Avon is highly focused on student achievement and I plan to continue with this educational legacy.
I am really excited to be part of the Glen Avon team with an emphasis on student achievement!
We are very pleased to be a schoolwide AVID Elementary School. AVID is a system to help students to prepare for college. The teachers will teach students organizational tools and strategies to prepare them to be successful. Please see list of AVID supplies that may be purchased at our Back to School Night on August 7th at 5:00.
As a District, EVERY student in grades 2-11 will continue to use Chromebooks at school and home. Part of your child's continued responsibility will be to take the Chromebook home every day to use and to charge it for the next day. Please make sure your child has a backpack that can securely carry a Chromebook. Students in grades 2-6 should return to school with a fully charged Chromebook. ALL students in grades Kindergarten and First Grade will each have a Chromebook to use in their classrooms each day.
We are also continuing with School Uniforms. Uniform tops are –red, white, blue, or gray. Uniform bottoms are- blue, black, or khaki. Students are encouraged to wear the following schedule of uniforms:
Monday- School Uniform
Tuesday- School Uniform
Wednesday- 100 Mile shirt day
Thursday- College shirt day
Friday- Glen Avon Spirit Shirt Day
There are several goals that will be our focus this year:
- Improved student attendance: It is really important to have your child in school every day on time. We will have several incentives for perfect attendance.
- Student achievement: Our focus is always on student achievement. This year we will continue to implement the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) in Mathematics and English Language Arts. We will continue to implement revised ELD standards. You may notice the change in the type of homework your child brings home. The report card will show the progress on CCSS standards.
- Student behavior: As a District, we will continue to implement a Positive Behavior Plan known as PBIS. The teachers will provide daily lessons in the proper behavior for every area of the campus. We will use following the slogan:
Be Respectful, Be Responsible, and Be Safe!
It is very important that we all work together as a team. Glen Avon welcomes Parent Volunteers. Please consider being part of our AVID Booster Club, School Site Council (SSC), or English Language Advisory Council (ELAC). These are all wonderful opportunities to help our school provide numerous opportunities for our students.
- We will have monthly Parent Make and Take Workshops for parents who have students in various grades.
- We are also hosting various parenting classes throughout the year. Information will go home about various parent workshops.
- We will continue to use Class Dojo as a communication tool. We are trying to go paperless. If you have not signed-up for Class Dojo, you will be provided directions on how to join.
Please save our monthly calendar as a reminder to all the opportunities for parents.
I look forward to another exciting year!