Careers in the Military
​​US Air Force.pngUS Army.pngUS Coast Guard.pngUS Marines.pngUS National Guard.pngUS Navy.png

​To Serve as an Enlisted Service Member

The first step towards enlistment in the military is to talk with a military recruiter.  Each high school is served by a recruiter from each branch of the military (Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard and National Guard).  Check with your Career Center to make an appointment.

Military Entrance Processing (MEPS)

MEPS determine an applicant's physical qualifications, aptitude and moral standards as set by each branch of the military.  MEPS includes:

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) – an exam that helps determine careers for which a candidate is well suited.  The test is available online and in paper format.

To Serve as a Military Officer

There are four ways to become a military officer:

  • Attend a Senior Military College and Academy – students interested in attending a service academy –such as West ​​​Point- need a congressional letter of recommendation.  Applications are due in the Fall of the senior year.  Jurupa's Congress Member is Mark Takano (  Students can also apply for​ a letter with either of California's Senators- Dianne Feinstein ( or Alex Padilla (​
  • Attend a traditional college and complete the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) program.
  • Attend Officer Candidate School (OCS) after graduating from college.
  • Received a direct commission after earning a professional (advanced) degree.

For more information visit

Copyright © 2024 Jurupa Unified School District. All Rights Reserved.